Research in CLRC encompasses five areas of strength:
- typical language acquisition and interaction
- risk factors and disorders of speech and language development
- neural bases of language learning
- cochlear implants and hearing impairments
- pragmatic development and its disorders
The studies conducted by the research teams deal with a wide variety of questions concerning the comprehension and production abilities of language of typically developing and preterm children and children with Specific Language Impairment (SLI), cochlear implants, hearing impairment, Asperger Syndrome/High Functioning Autism (AS/HFA), and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). In addition, the research encompasses speech perception and neural bases of language learning.